Friday, September 9

The Butterfly Clues - Kate Ellison

The Butterfly CluesThe Butterfly Clues by Kate Ellison


Kate Ellison has portrayed 'Lo' perfectly. You step into the mind of someone with a serious illness. You feel the confusion, the drive to do things that you don't want to do. I believe Kate spent so much time on the overwhelming character of Lo that the other characters were lacking. You have the boyfriend- a street-wise artist stealing art supplies from dumpsters and living in abandoned buildings. He wasn't a very compelling character, just another part of the scenery. You have the dead stripper -Sapphire- who was the object of an obsession for both Lo and her murderer. That isn't to say I didn't enjoy the book, but your mind goes into sensory overload coping with Lo's mind. There's no room for any other emotions.

The book was well written otherwise, and I have to give the author major props for the description and build of Lo. She hit the nail on the head. I'm not sure I've read a book that has conveyed the sickness that is OCD in such a compelling manner.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment